Saturday, November 15, 2014

Week#9/#10

University of Toronto has a holiday called Fall Break. So my sLog is also combined Week9 and Week10. I think this is fair?

Anyways, here are new topics in CSC165.

BIG DATA, O and Omega.

I think this is a very important field in Computer Science in the next few years because one chunk of data is getting so big these days as the availability of high speed internet at homes is also getting matured.

I found the following example is useful for my sLog note.


n^3 is not an element of O(3n^2). So there exists some postive number c, some natural number B, for all n that is natural number, such that when n is bigger or equal to B implies n^3 is less or equal to c3n^2.

Well... is it really false? Nowadays, you can plot graphs in Google search.
https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/3284611

Now, here is the plot.


It looks like x^3 is larger than 3x^2 when it's positive. So the statement supposed to be false, and it is false.

I found that plotting graphs help me understand clearer for O and Omega. It's worth it to try it in graphs!


No comments:

Post a Comment