Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Week#11

The term is almost finished, but then I have to remember Calculus which I studied when I was in Glendon College almost a decade ago...

Again, since I'm pursuing Computer Science degree as my second degree, any course I've already taken that overlap U of T courses is in the list of exclusion. That means, I supposed to know the material.

Well... maybe I'm lucky or not, only Calculus I have to remember is L'Hopital's Rule. (And derivatives, of course).

Basically, when limit of n tends to sigma where 2^n / n^2 = sigma. It's obvious that 2^n is much larger than n^2. But this is still not quite intuitive. So we take derivatives of both numerator and denominator until we find a constant.

d(2^n) / d(n^2) = ln2*2^n / 2n
d(ln2*2^n) / d(2n) = ln2*ln2*2^n / 2

Voila! Now we can intuitively see that this function gets enoumously large when n tends to sigma (infinity).

Here is my course note for proving n^2 is not element of Big-Oh(2^n).

Click the image to enlarge.

No comments:

Post a Comment