Monday, October 20, 2014

Week#6

Since I had a mid-term test, there is not much thing to note here for CSC165H1.

For Week#6, I want to note here about CSC200Y. First of all, I want to mention here about why I'm taking the 200 level course.

Most of the students who are taking CSC165H1 should be a first-year student. But my case is different. My official year of study is second year, because I already have bachelor's degree in economics from Glendon College. So I have one-year equivalent credits that are four 100 level and one 200 level; total is five full-year credits. This is sort of good and bad. Since I already have four 100 level courses in my status, the limitation to BSc regulation, saying I'm not supposed to take more than six 100 level courses, bothers me. I've already had CSC108H1 from summer 2014, and am currently taking CSC148H1, CSC165H1 and PSY100H1 (PSY for my general education requirement). H means half year course, so I'm stuck with the six-100-level-courses regulation right at the start. Then I had to choose whatever the course starts with 200. That is why I'm taking CSC200.

The thing is that the course (CSC200) is quite interesting. Some parts of the course cover Game Theory which I put much focus when I was at Glendon College.

So why am I studying Game Theory for computer science? Well... the course hasn't reached there yet, but basically CSC200 is about graph theory with nodes and edges.

My first impression was; what is it?? But the prof started to talk about social network such as Facebook and Twitter, and I realized that this is somehow related to computer science.

Since the course is year-long, I do not have much thing to update today. But I see the network nodes and edges in Linkedin. In Linkedin, there is a graph showing you how you connect with the friend. This graph as a whole must be huge. CSC200 teaches about this big graph.

http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/kleinber/networks-book/

The material for CSC200 is online for free, by the way.

For WEEK#7, I will update about Game Theory and about CSC165 (proof).

No comments:

Post a Comment